XO Cognac Cask Finished Whiskey
Style: American Whiskey
Peggy Noe Stevens
Fresh nose of vanilla and ginger. Golden-brown sugar with hints of toast and dried fruit. Earthy tobacco and roasted nuts. Apple and toffee.
Somewhat herbal with basil and black tea. The golden-brown sugar remains and is accompanied by the ginger.
Apple butter and toffee. Oak tannins with a thinly smoked frame. Ginger for days.
Spikes of heat and overtures of herbal flavors that keep you on your toes.
Canned pear and light brown sugar begin to unfold, along with a little very light oak.
The oak is out front with fruit and light caramel trailing behind. The sweeter elements grow a little more confident as the whiskey sits for a bit.
The oak wins. It’s not bitter, but it is certainly dominant.
Water really warms and sweetens this whiskey, so if that is your preference, add a splash. Drink neat if dry and savory is more to your taste.
- Interview: The life of Caleb Kilburn
- James B. Beam unveils American single malt whiskey
- Seven Colorado distilleries collaborate to release limited edition whiskey
- Copperworks American Single Malt goes across the pond
- Discover Breckenridge Distillery’s award-winning whiskeys and delight your dad this Father’s Day
0 comments on “TASTING: Breckenridge XO Cognac Cask”